Friday, August 1, 2008

flesh & prayer

Mark 14:38
"Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Here in the garden as Jesus asked His disciples to pray with Him, no amount of spiritual willingness could overcome their physical exhaustion. Keeping well rested and taking care of one's body is so crucial to living the Christian life. When I am tired or lethargic I'm more prone to impatience, unkindness, harsh words, laziness and other temptations. However in the midst of this battle between spiritual willingness and physical weakness is the mighty Spirit of God. To connect with Him in prayer and rely on His power is to overcome the flesh and strengthen the spirit. This can be seen in Jesus' tone before and after His prayer; from "exceedingly sorrowful" to "arise, let us be going! My betrayer is at hand." It's only through prayer that we gain such strength in weakness to resist temptation and trials.

God - make me more a man of prayer. Give me a more willing heart and watchful spirit. strengthen me to obey and honor You in temptation and trial. Amen.

No comments: