Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Portion & Inheritance

Numbers 18:20
"Then the LORD said to Aaron: “You shall have no inheritance in their land, nor shall you have any portion among them; I am your portion and your inheritance among the children of Israel."

Much is made about legacies and memories of influential people; making a name for one's self, monuments of greatness, memorials, inheritance and estates that live on, etc.... This should not be so of influential men called into the Lords work. To be called into the service of God means to surrender my stake in this world, to be fully consumed with making His name great, building His kingdom and preparing and inheritance for the Lord. My treasure is to know Him and to dwell close to Him in both this life and eternity. I need not worry about tomorrow, my reputation, meeting my needs, building my estate, legacy or name... I am God's servant and He shall meet all my needs according to His riches in glory (Philippians 4:19). To serve Him today is to trust Him for tomorrow.

God - keep me from being distracted by worry, worldly pursuits, popularity, renown, personal ambition, self-promotion, and anything else that might be substituted for the great privilege of serving You. Show me the fullness of my portion and make me patient for Your inheritance. Let my life exalt Your name and advance Your kingdom. Amen.

No comments: