Friday, November 14, 2008

Adoption

Galatians 4:3-7
Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world. 4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born[a] of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of[b] God through Christ.

In the Roman world adoption had two significant steps. First, the natural father would sell his son into slavery to the adopting father - then redeem him back. This sale happened a total of three times. However, after the third sale, the natural father could no longer buy back the son. The third sale signified the father giving up all rights to the son and the finalization of the transaction. At times a father would sell his son into slavery or servanthood in order to survive or pay a debt. A father could redeem his son only twice so as to prevent children for being taken advantage of. After this step, the son would become the full property and responsibility of the adopting father.
The second step was to remove the "slave" status from the adoptee and grant him full "son" status. This step ensured him all of the same rights a natural son would have, making him a full heir in the family. Equally as significant is the fact that this adopted son could no longer be sold into bondage again, the adoption process expended all legal opportunity. The nature of this process ensures the child security in his new family and legally protected him from any form of alienation.
According to this passage, Christ was sold into bondage for my sin and redeemed from the grave as the first-fruits of my redemption. I am no longer a slave to the law and the flesh but have been granted sonship. I have new Father and a new heritage. I have been granted all of the same rights as Christ - the natural son. I cannot be sold, given away or alienated from the Father. I belong to my heavenly Father. I can crawl upon His lap like a natural son, lay my head on His chest and say "abba - daddy." I am His.

Daddy - make me more and more aware of my sonship and all the rights and riches I have in your family as a join heir with Jesus. Teach me to live worthy of being adopted as your Son. Amen.

No comments: