Monday, November 17, 2008

Balance of law and liberty

Galatians 5:13-14
For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

In Galatians 5 Paul takes on the balance between the law and liberty. To focus too heavily on the law is to render Christ's sacrifice and grace useless. We then become slaves to the whole law (Gal. 5:3-4). This is "legalism." To exercise excessive liberty is to let the flesh overpower the Spirit. Again, we become slaves to the flesh and render Christ' sacrifice worthless. This is "lust."
But hen we are careful to live and walk in the Spirit we let the power of Christ live through us. This is "love."
"Love covers a multitude of sins," (Prov. 10:12 & 1 Pet. 4:8). Love does not condemn the sinner like legalism, nor condone or cooperate with the sin like lust, but instead forgives and guides and reminds others of the words of Christ - like the Spirit. Walking in the Spirit and living out love is to produce fruit like love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control (Gal. 5:22-23).
Is my life marked by these fruit? Am I living in legalism or lust? Where is my focus?... am I focused on the law or liberty or on the Spirit who empowers me to do all things in love?

Father - make me more loving. Teach me to walk in the Spirit and let love win in me and around me. Produce Your fruit in me and may my actions edify others and honor You. Amen.

No comments: