Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bondservant, pleasing God

Galatians 1:10
For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.

I can strive to please men and win the approval of those around me only in so much as I obey and honor God above all else. When I begin to make certain concessions concerning His Gospel I stop short of full obedience - I cease to be His servant. In winning this type of approval from men, they, in turn, win my allegiance. I become their slave.
Now favor among men is a good thing - even for the sake of the Gospel. However it is also contrary to what Jesus warned His Gospel brings (John 15:18). Men hated Him and they will also hate his followers. True favor and reception to the Gospel comes only by the Spirit of God (1 Corinthians 12:3). And the Spirit of God moves most effectively when I submit fully to Him as His bondservant - seeking only His pleasure.
Therefore I will hold out the Word of Truth in all circumstances that He may be glorified and magnified in me, His servant.

Father - make me bold to honor You and speak Your Word before all men. Let me seek favor in You alone. Make me to fear no man. Use me fully and help me submit fully to Your spirit. Amen

1 comment:

Melinda said...

That's one of my favorite verses, Pete. Good stuff.