Wednesday, November 26, 2008

patience

James 5:8
You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.

What would it be like if I lived each day, each moment, in the joyful anticipation of the return of Christ? How would I live my life differently if I truly believed that Jesus' return was just moments away? Theologically I believe that His return in imminent but this doesn't translate practically for me. To be honest I'm not really sure what this would look like or mean for me. After losing a parent and best friend to cancer, I feel more prepared to answer how my life would be different if I only had days to live. But what if we all had only days to go on this Earth as it is?
Evangelism would probably become a more pressing priority. I might not complain about much at all seeing as it will all change pretty rapidly. I don't think I would be as selfish, after all, I won't need any of my stuff shortly. That probably holds true for greed as well. I might be more vulnerable since others wouldn't have as much time to hold it over me. I'd probably make some confessions and seek forgiveness. I'd probably extend forgiveness too, I'd feel silly trying to carry a grudge into eternity.
Ok... so the obvious question is this; why not live this way now? If we wait until we're aware of Jesus return, we'll only have the twinkling of an eye to make our peace. Besides, His return is imminent - it could happen any time. Ready?

Father - keep your return on my mind. Let your return establish my heart in obedience and Christ-likeness. Fill me with the joy of knowing that You are breaths away. Amen.

No comments: