Monday, November 24, 2008

doing good

James 4:17
Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

The Greek word translated "good" in this verse is "kalos." The range of meaning includes; beautiful, excellent, suitable, commendable, surpassing, useful, genuine, precious, morally good, noble, honorable and better. (This makes me think of Philippians 4:8-9)
This is probably not the list of meanings most people have in mind when they say, "he's a good guy" or "I'm a pretty good person." Even Jesus questioned the idea of goodness when He said, "why do you call me good? God alone is good" (Mark 10:18). So as I read this verse, I don't take the call to goodness lightly. This is not an invitation to do or be what the world would consider sufficient. We do not aim at good enough, God demands better. When we pass on doing good or settle for good enough we sin because we have held back our sacrifice from God. When we reserve our time or resources or attention or heart - we come before God with less than He demands. God wants to have and use all of me.
So where have I been holding back from God? Where have I settled for good enough? Where must I do better?

Father - open my eyes to see the opportunity for goodness all around me. Give me the courage and discipline to do good when I see it. May my life be a sacrifice that is fully pleasing to You. Amen

No comments: