Thursday, November 13, 2008

My tutor

Galatians 3:24-25
Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

The Greek word Paul uses for tutor here is "Paidagogos" which can also be translated "custodian." In Greek households, servants would be hired to care for and guide young boys to maturity, to teach them and keep them from physical and moral harm. Before Christ, the law served as our custodian, the ever-present reminder of God's standards (Deut. 6:-9) and our failure to meet those standards (Rom. 3:20 & 7:5). However when we reach maturity in Christ through faith, we no longer need this tutor nor is the law useful. For after faith has come we are given the Holy Spirit - an inward reminder of the Grace of God (Rom. 6:14-15) and freedom from the law, (1 Cor. 10:23). By faith, through the Holy Spirit, I now live in light of the Son of God who loves me and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20). I need no other reminder - I need no other master.

Holy Spirit - be my tutor. Guide me and protect me. Teach me to live in light of the Grace of God and the love of Christ to the glory of the Father. Amen.

No comments: