Wednesday, November 12, 2008

crucified...

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

When Paul claims to have been crucified with Christ, he speaks of a one-time event that had eternal implications. Christ died once for the sins of the world; past, present and future. There is no need nor room for another sacrifice. When we place our faith in Christ and His atoning death on the cross, there also is no need nor room for another sacrifice. Instead, the implications of identifying with the death of Christ, crucifying our flesh with Him, should have eternal effect in our lives.
If I have put to death my flesh I live by faith, not by works. My confidence is in His work, not mine. My security is found in His crucified flesh, not my own.

However, I must ask myself constantly, "How now and I living?"
I can live one of three ways. I can live by the flesh, gratifying the sinful nature. I can live by law, attempting to conquer the flesh by acts of righteous, works of satisfaction. Or I can live by faith in the Son of God and His atoning work on the cross.

Living by the flesh is to deny the death of Christ on the cross.
Living by the law is to render useless the death of Christ on the cross.
Living by faith is to proclaim the death of Christ on the cross.

How now am I living?

Father - remind me daily that I have been crucified with You and my flesh no longer lives. Grant me the faith to live each day in proclamation of your love and sacrifice for me. Set me free from guilt and law and let me celebrate the life I live in You. Amen

No comments: