Tuesday, October 20, 2009

calling in step with one another

Hebrews 3:13
"but exhort one another daily, while it is called “Today,” lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin."

I think most people would wince a bit at the word choice here; to "exhort" one another daily. I bet that would be exasperating to be constantly exhorted, daily. But a closer look at the Greek word behind exhort reveals something very beautiful, comforting and encouraging. In fact, at times, the word is translated encourage or comfort. The actual Greek word is "parakaleo." It is a combination of two words, "para" which means along side or in step with, and "kaleo" which means to call. So the literal translation might read "call each other in step daily." It is also the exact word that Jesus used to describe the Holy Spirit in John 14-16.

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:7
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

In other words, the writer of Hebrews is calling us to be a type of Holy Spirit in the one another's lives. We are to convict, convince, comfort, correct and convey God's message to one another - daily. We are called to call others in step with the Holy Spirit as we walk with Him.

How am I doing at coming along side of my friends and family and calling them to walk closer with Jesus? How am I doing at allowing others to call me closer? Do I let days go by without comforting or encouraging other believers? Do I let sin linger without conviction or confession? Do I let opportunities to convey the Word of God slip past in silence? If so, I am allowing sin to harden my heart and the heart of others. I am choosing to fall out of step with the Holy Spirit.

Father, may I always obey Your calling to Your side and obediently call others to fall in step with Your Holy Spirit. Let not my heart be hardened by sin but instead let me be the comforter that my brothers and sisters need. Let my heart be soft to the call of others and to the call of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: