Monday, October 19, 2009

Perfect through suffering

Hebrews 2:10
For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

The more I study Scripture, the more I am amazed, inspired by and drawn to the humanity of Jesus. By this, Christ identified with us, but by it we too may identify with Him. Beyond flesh and blood, we share with Christ in the human experience of suffering; living a life less than God intended for us, being fully exposed to the consequences of sin and a world distorted by it. My own suffering (as relatively light as it is) often produces in me compromise, selfishness and more sin. However Christ's suffering produced in Him (and consequently in humanity) perfection. Through suffering He earned the right to redeem us, He earned the right to be our captain, our leader and example in suffering, and He earned the glory of God as an earthly Son. As a man, He is the author, perfecter and champion of our salvation. This He has done in His humanity, not relying on His deity, not exploiting His divinity, so that I may follow Him (Phil. 2:5-8).

Jesus, help me keep my eyes on You that I too may be made perfect in my suffering. Give me the strength and discipline to endure and conform to Your image in me as I suffer - that You may be glorified. Amen.

No comments: