Friday, October 2, 2009

eyes for the poor

Proverbs 28:27
He who gives to the poor will lack nothing,
but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.

How often have I turned my eyes away from the poor and needy? I often refused to make eye contact (or any other contact) with the man at the end of the off-ramp, the bell ringer at the grocery store or even the emotionally needy person that comes to my church seeking compassion and comfort. I do this party because I don't want to give up what I've been given and party because I don't want to be confronted with or burdened by the weightier things of life.
But the natural and spiritual consequences of such hardness of heart are severe. Spiritually, God removes His hand of blessing and will not hear my cry or prayer when I am in need (prov. 28:9). Naturally, we miss the opportunities to join God in His work, to be conformed to His image, to develop His heart of mercy and to experience His provision. Consequently, we become numb and dull to the exact relationship that we have been created for; we become isolated and lonely.
But if we lock eyes with the poor we lock eyes with Christ himself and invite both natural and spiritual blessings into our lives.

Matthew 25:37-40
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Lord, soften my heart and turn my eyes to the needs of the poor. Teach me to see You and serve You every day. Amen.

No comments: