Thursday, December 24, 2009

New twist on an old command

John 13:34-35
"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

The commandment to love one another was not new. Moses commanded Israel, "Love your neighbor as yourself" in Leviticus 19:18. Jesus affirmed this command and declared that it was the second greatest command in Mark 12:31. So what was so new about what Jesus was saying?
Jesus command took love to a whole new level. The old standard was to love others as one's self. The new standard as to love as Jesus loved.
Looking back, they disciples would have immediately thought of Jesus act of humility, serving them through foot-washing. Looking forward, Jesus was also pointing to His love displayed on the cross through His sacrifice. These are the marks of true discipleship; service and sacrifice. The world will know that we belong to Jesus by these signs of love.
So how an I doing at loving others through service and sacrifice? Do people know that I am a follower of Jesus by my humility, service and sacrifice or simply by my job title? Do others see Jesus in and through me or simply around me? What could I do today (every day for that matter) to demonstrate this type of love to my family, friends, coworkers and even the strangers that I cross paths with?

Father - teach me to love others the way that You have loved me. Teach me to overlook faults and flaws as you have overlooked mine. Teach me to serve and sacrifice with no regard for myself. Let others see You in and through me. Teach me to Love. Amen.

No comments: