Monday, September 1, 2008

The Holy Spirit & Jesus

Acts 1:1-3
The former account I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach, until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen, to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

I've been more and more often surprised by how the Holy Spirit shows up in Jesus ministry. He was led by the Spirit, driven by the Spirit, discerned through the Spirit, became strong in the Spirit, was filled with the Holy Spirit, rejoiced in the Spirit, prayed in the Spirit, was troubled in Spirit, and taught through the Holy Spirit. Though He Himself was fully divine, He still submitted to the Holy Spirit in full cooperation. This truth leads me to ask, "how much am I influenced by the Holy Spirit?" and "am I living in full submission to and cooperation with the Holy Spirit?" I'm afraid that more often than not, my association with the Spirit would better be defined with words like "quench," "grieve," or "deny." I tend to be pretty dull to the Holy Spirit. This may be due to a lack of understanding, lack of focus, or lack of desire for the Holy Spirit. I like (and find comfort) in things that are black and white, like Scripture - safe, definable, predictable, manageable. The Holy Spirit is far too dangerous, demands such faith and leads to such unimaginable results. I can't define, predict, manage or manipulate the Spirit or His work. Call me a control freak.
But if I am going to walk as Jesus walked I am going to need to invite the Holy Spirit to play a larger role in my life. I'll need to focus on Him and hunger for His intervention. I'll need to give up control and listen hard. I'll need to ask Him to show up.

Holy Spirit - fully fill me today and open my ears to your voice. Teach me to know Your presence. Drive me to the place where You want to use me. Teach me to submit to Your movement and help me to cooperate with You. Amen.

No comments: