Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Abundant giving in poverty

Mark 12:43-44
So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”

I see two choices displayed here - to give abundantly in poverty or to give poverishly (I think I just invented a new word... but you get the idea) in abundance. While the offering of the rich was greater in sum, it was far less in sacrifice and acceptability to God. God does not measure our faithfulness as stewards by how much we give, but by how much we keep and hold back from Him. Furthermore, the measure of what we keep also reveals our faith in God as provider. How can I say that I trust Him for my livelihood if I keep so much to myself and hold back from my provider? I wonder now if it is possible to follow Christ faithfully without giving sacrificially and abundantly. Poor in giving, poor in faith. Rich in giving, rich in faith.

God - make me rich in faith that I may give richly. Give me a generous heart. May I be found faithful with little so that I may be blessed to give much. Bring me to the place of the widow so that I can trust You with my whole livelihood. Amen.

No comments: