Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reputation matters

Proverbs 27:17
The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold,
And a man is valued by what others say of him.

(Proverbs 27 is the friendship chapter)

Reputation matters. I find it's "cool" for kids to say, "I don't care what people say about me." It's popular, but foolish. They think it demonstrates confidence, independence and strength but it really reveals a self-centered, arrogant isolation. We are meant for one another, to live in community and to make a difference in the lives of one another.
If our motives are pure but our actions are not perceived the same, we suffer. If i set out to do good in a sloppy manner, I only make a mess. If my good intentions do not lead to good deeds I'll never find good will. For this reason we must be diligent to work hard as if working for God and not for man (Col. 3:23). We must present ourselves as ones "approved by God, workmen who need not be ashamed" (2 Tim. 2:15). The result is not only favor with God but also favor with men. Even Jesus "grew in wisdom and stature and favor with God and man," (Luke 2:52).
Finally, if our motives are pure and our actions follow, our reputations become valuable currency by which we are able to accomplish God's agenda in this life.

Father - guide me to establish a worthy reputation and let my heart be tested by what others say of my character and ethic. May I honor You. Amen

No comments: