Thursday, December 10, 2009

Jesus and the Holy Spirit (2)

John 4:4
"But He (Jesus) needed to go through Samaria."

John says that Jesus "needed" to go through the scorned and avoided region of Samaria. He didn't choose to or accidentally enter where no righteous or pious Jew would go... He was compelled to go there.
I believe it was the Holy Spirit that compelled Him to cross these cultural and racial barriers to offer living water to a people He also loved. As Paul said in 1 Cor. 9:16, "for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!" Jesus knew He needed to begin His ministry to Samaria and I believe He understood what the results of such obedience would be.
In John 4 we see the Samaritan woman move from seeing Jesus as "great" (v. 12) to a "prophet" (v. 19) to the "messiah" (v. 25). The townspeople then complete His identity by declaring Him to be "the Savior of the world" (v. 42)... Samaritan too, even gentiles!
This is the result of listening to and obeying the Holy Spirit; we will boldly break through barriers and by our love and truth inspire belief in those who are lost and hurting.

Am I compelled? Do I listen for the Holy Spirit enough to be drawn to such a need? Am I listening enough to be part of such an impact as Jesus made in just a few hours at an isolated well with a lonely, hurting woman? If I'm not listening for these small yet divine appointments I will miss out on being part of what God is doing as He faithfully saves the world.

Lord - help me to listen to and obey Your Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: