Friday, December 18, 2009

Whose voice are you listening to?

John 10:4-5
And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.”

Whose voice are you listening to? If I am His, If I belong to Jesus, I will hear and recognize His voice above all others and will follow Him. If I follow another voice, if I follow temptation and sin, I must question, "to whom do I belong?" Whichever voice I follow is my master, my shepherd. Jesus is the "Good Shepherd" who leads to abundant life. All other voices are thieves who come to steal and kill.
As one of Jesus' sheep, I must stay close to the shepherd and train my ears to hear His voice only. I do this by reading His Word regularly, by meditation and worship that focuses on His Word, by prayer and listening for His Holy Spirit, and by fellowship with other sheep who also know and follow His voice. To ignore these disciplines is to risk following another voice.

Father - sharpen my ears to hear Your voice only. Keep me close and help me to follow You. Amen.

No comments: