Monday, December 14, 2009

Satisfied...

John 6:35
"And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst."

In as season and holiday that has become all about hunger, greed, extravagance and self, I'm compelled to ask what really satisfies? How long until the shine of Christmas morning materialism last? The stuff we give and receive this month will all be old and unfulfilling by next. The gadgets and gizmos will soon be replaced by bigger (or smaller) and better ones. The games we play will get old and boring. The movies and music will become familiar. The clothes will become worn and faded. How long does satisfaction last these days? - shorter and shorter each year.
So what does it mean to be satisfied, filled and fulfilled with Jesus? - not just at Christmas time but every day of the year? Does my understanding of and intimacy with Jesus make me so content that I do not huger for earthly things? Is Jesus my greatest desire? Do I turn to Him, feed on Him, when life gets difficult... or even when it's not? Is He my steady diet through prayer, meditation, Scripture, worship and service so that I am not tempted by earthly substitutes?
Am I satisfied with Jesus?
If not...have I truly tasted of His goodness?
Have I truly understood His promise to satisfy?

Jesus - let me be satisfied with You. Amen.

No comments: