Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Who is Jesus?

John 8:5-59
Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Some say that Jesus was a good man and a good teacher but never himself claimed to be God. However here in John 8, Jesus uses the phrase "I AM" twelve times! This is a reference to God as He revealed Himself to Moses on Mount Horeb at the burning bush in Exodus 3 (specifically verse 14). It's clear from the crowds reaction that they finally understood whom Jesus claimed to be.
It is this claim that prevents us from believing that Jesus is simply a good man or a good teacher. Good men and good teachers so not make such absurd claims. Either Jesus is not God and therefore not good; or He is God... and more.
So how do you respond to Jesus claim? Will you pick up stones along with the crowd?... or will you believe?
On another note...
Isn't it funny how John 8 begins and ends with an angry crowd desiring to stone someone? It begins with Jesus inviting "him who has no sin to throw the first stone" and results in the crowds departure. It ends with Jesus claim of divinity and results in Jesus departure. How how deaf and dull we can be.

Lord - let me hear your voice, receive your Word and abide in You. Let me walk away from sin and set down my stones. Let me live in light of Your eternity. Amen.

1 comment:

Adam Pastor said...

Greetings Pete

On the subject of John 8:58ff and the phrase "I AM"

I recommend this article:
Is Jesus the "I AM?"

Also on the subject of
who is Jesus?
I recommend this video:
The Human Jesus

Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you in your quest for truth.

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor