Friday, December 11, 2009

Security in Christ

John 5:24
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

The timing and tense of the verbs in this passage are interesting and inspiring. In the present, we are called to "hear" and to "believe." Receiving the Son in full faith from the Father sets a mark in the time line of our existence. From that moment on we have already passed from death to life, we have already been fully redeemed. Our status has been permanently changed from condemned to forgiven. As Jesus said Himself in John 3:17-18, "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. There is no process to unfold, no journey to take, no status to strive for; this is the gift of God - eternal life. And this gift is irrevocable, (Rom. 11:29).
Therefore, though our present faith in the past work of Christ on the cross, we shall not come into judgment in the future. This security and certainty is only possible if our faith is fully in Christ and His work on the cross on our behalf. By this faith I may enjoy freedom in Christ and confidence in my current condition. I can enjoy each day of my life knowing that at this present time I already stand fully and securely in the hand of God. What a glorious and gracious God we have!

Father - teach me to live and strengthen me to live every day in light of this glorious gift. Amen.

No comments: