Friday, March 25, 2011

correction & consequences

Jeremiah 46:28

"Do not fear, O Jacob My servant,” says the LORD,
“For I am with you;
For I will make a complete end of all the nations
To which I have driven you,
But I will not make a complete end of you.
I will rightly correct you,
For I will not leave you wholly unpunished.”

Proverbs 3:12

For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

Hebrews 12:6

For whom the LORD loves He chastens,And scourges every son whom He receives.”


I think too often we consider the negative consequences of our sin to be natural rather than paternal. Why do we tend to remove from our Heavenly Father the blessing of discipline? Why is it more palatable to think of negative results of sin as consequential rather than corrective, circumstantial rather than intentional? Our Heavenly Father loves us enough to bless and punish. He stands firm on His Word and expectation for His children. He is not like weak willed men who would rather his children like him than follow in his footsteps. He is not persuaded by corrupt flesh but persuades it to conform to His Spirit. This is a sign of God's deep love for us; yet we tend to avoid such a theology.

If I am still alive and able to receive correction, this is a sign of mercy and love. I will not reason my way around my pain but willingly accept it and let it do it's work of sanctification in my life.

Father - thank you for loving me enough to correct me. Amen.

No comments: