Monday, March 7, 2011

Joy and Jerusalem

Jeremiah 32:37-41
"Behold, I will gather them out of all countries where I have driven them in My anger, in My fury, and in great wrath; I will bring them back to this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely. 38 They shall be My people, and I will be their God; 39 then I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me forever, for the good of them and their children after them. 40 And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from doing them good; but I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me. 41 Yes, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will assuredly plant them in this land, with all My heart and with all My soul.’"

Is the land the promise or a part of the promise?
Is the land the point or simply the visible sign of a greater purpose?
Is the land similar to a NT sacrament that signifies an even greater spiritual blessing?
It seems that the safety, unity, blessing, security and presence of God are the true blessings that are affirmed through a physical sign - possession of the land, specifically Jerusalem.
Living in the land did not and does not mean that the people of God were obeying Him or even receiving such blessings. It does however mean that not living in the land is a sign of the removal of such blessings. Consequently, the land was the last thing to be removed and the first thing to return.
Yet there would be a day when the promise of God, the blessings of God and the presence of God are irrevocably tied to an eternal kingdom whose subjects are secured by an internal sign, the seal of the Holy Spirit. For those of us who are members of this kingdom, the sign of such a covenant and seal is the joy of our salvation. If we are living into the covenant and abiding by it, our lives will be marked by joy. Joy is the first to depart and the first to return when we live into God's covenant with us.

How is my joy today?

No comments: