Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hold life loosely

Jeremiah 39:18
"For I will surely deliver you, and you shall not fall by the sword; but your life shall be as a prize to you, because you have put your trust in Me,” says the LORD.’”

These were the words spoken to Ebed-Melech the Ethiopian for rescuing Jeremiah from the miry pit in the prison of king Zedekiah. He alone believed the word of God through Jeremiah and transformed that trust into action. When our faith and trust in God leads us to action, God responds in like manner. When we learn to hold loosely our lives for the sake of action for His agenda, our lives become a prize to Him and in response to us. Life takes on a whole new value when lived for the sake of God's kingdom and agenda.
Do I want my life to count? Do I want to live with a greater purpose? Do I want my life to be prized by God? I will learn to hold life loosely and trust in Him to the point of sacrifice and action.
This example of Ebed-Melech the Ethiopian is reinforced as well by the words of Jesus in Matthew 16:24-26,
"Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"

Father - teach me to live life loosely and give it away for the sake of Your kingdom. Amen.

No comments: