Friday, March 4, 2011

New Covenant

Jeremiah 31:31-34
“Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD.
33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD:
I will put My law in their minds,
and write it on their hearts;
and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD.
For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

I cannot even imagine what joy might have filled Jeremiah as he prophesied these words.
He, however sadly, cannot imagine the joy if their fulfillment... we can.
We who believe are the benefactors of such a covenant. We have received the Holy Spirit and enjoy an intimate unity with God that Israel did not know. They connected with God through the Temple. Their learning came through prophets and priests. However at the cross, the veil was torn and the priesthood was opened to all believers (Hebrews 7-8, 1 Peter 2:9-10). We can enter His presence because He has entered ours (Hebrews 4:14-16). We are no longer bound by sin, we are forgiven and set free to serve Him in His presence and the new priesthood that will connect all men to God.

Praise God that He does new things. Praise Him for His faithful covenant keeping. Praise Him for His wise and gracious plan. Praise Him for His patience and longsuffering with mankind and His people Israel. Praise Him for His forgiveness and mercy. Praise God. Amen.

No comments: