Thursday, March 3, 2011

Delight in discipline

Jeremiah 30:11
For I am with you,’ says the LORD, ‘to save you;
Though I make a full end of all nations where I have scattered you,
Yet I will not make a complete end of you.
But I will correct you in justice,
And will not let you go altogether unpunished.’

God is just. He will not, cannot, let the guilty go unpunished. However the punishment of God has two very distinct goals for two very distinct subjects. For those who by actions and believe stand at odds with God as his enemies, punishment expressed God's wrath and the goal is utter destruction. For those who by action and faith humbly submit to God as His people, punishment expresses God's mercy (God's relenting from wrathful punishment) and the goal is correction and conformation to the image and will of God.
For there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:1) however there is correction and even punishment. We should never resent the justice of God in our lives, only the sin that invites it. Justice that does not lead to destruction is mercy and a sign of sonship. For the LORD disciplines the son He loves (Prov. 3:12). Therefor, we should rejoice in correction and delight in discipline - for we are children of God.
Do I resent the discipline of God? Do I despise correction like a fool? (Prov. 3:11 & 15:5).

Father - teach me to receive Your discipline and to embrace Your correction. Teach me to rejoice at the signs of my sonship and celebrate Your sanctifying process in my life. Teach me to resent only my sin and to leave no room for regret. Amen.

No comments: