Wednesday, March 16, 2011

obedience

Jeremiah 42:5-6
"So they said to Jeremiah, “Let the LORD be a true and faithful witness between us, if we do not do according to everything which the LORD your God sends us by you. 6 Whether it is pleasing or displeasing, we will obey the voice of the LORD our God to whom we send you, that it may be well with us when we obey the voice of the LORD our God.”

I so love the words of Johanan and his companions in this passage. Am I willing to obey the voice of the Lord whether it is pleasing or displeasing, easy or difficult?
The only trouble with this statement is that it is easier said than done. Johanan and his men already had their hearts set fully on escaping the land (v. 15) and believed they already understood what was best. They were closed minded to the possibility that God would ask them to take a stand in the land and endure even more hardship for the sake of a greater end. They had convinced themselves of what was good and bad and refused to believe that such a difficult plan could be good.
How often have I prayed such a prayer and then refused to obey the answer?
How often have I refused to believe God's plan to be good simply because it is difficult?
How often have I refused to take a stand because it was easier to run away?
How often have I refused the blessing of God because I failed to obey?

Father - give me the courage to follow Your voice even when it is difficult, displeasing or confusing. Strengthen me to stand for the sake of Your kingdom and not my own agenda or well-being. Teach me to know Your will and set my own aside. Transform me by the renewing of my mind that I may know and follow You. Amen.

No comments: