Thursday, March 10, 2011

Heritage of Obedience

Jeremiah 35:14
"‘Jonadab son of Recab ordered his sons not to drink wine and this command has been kept. To this day they do not drink wine, because they obey their forefather’s command. But I have spoken to you again and again, yet you have not obeyed me."

Every father will pass on a heritage of either obedience or opposition. We will either hear the Word of God, obey it and pass it along to our children... or we will ignore the Word of God, turn our backs and teach our children to do the same.
The sons of Recab and Jonadab obeyed the commands of their fathers because they saw the commands obediently followed in their fathers' lives. These were not abstract commands of "do as I say, not as I do" or overbearing commands of "because I said so." The commands of Recab and Jonadab were observed and lived out for all to see. There was no hiding, posturing, private sin or rationalization of behavior. They obeyed before their sons and behind closed doors (v. 2-6). Because of their faithfulness, their sons were blessed with both a physical example and motivation for obedience as well as a spiritual blessing of strength, self control and resolve.
What am I passing onto my children? Do I obediently observe the Word of God in public and private that my children will receive both a physical and spiritual blessing? Am I committed to a generational blessing of purity and obedience? Am I willing to discipline myself for a heritage of faith and obedience in the lives of my children, grandchildren and children to come?

Father - strengthen my resolve, fill me with Your Spirit and guide me by Your Word. Help me to recognize temptation and flee from compromise. Let my children see in me an example of obedience that will bless generation to come. May I be like Jonadab and the sons of Recab. Amen.

No comments: