Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Elisha's double portion

2 Kings 2:9
When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, "Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?""Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit," Elisha replied.
When Elisha asked Elijah for a double portion of his spirit, he wasn't asking for more power or a wider ministry or greater impact (altho0ugh the Bible does record twice as many miracles for Elisha). Instead, like the double portion of the estate given to the oldest and primary heir in a family, Elisha was asking to receive the mantle of Elijah's ministry (2:14) and to continue in his footsteps. Elisha was asking to be Elijah's successor in influencing Israel.
In affirmation of God's hand of blessing and the double portion of God's favor, Elisha immediately crosses back over the Jordan river and enters Jericho to perform a miracle. Here, Elisha turns a bitter and dry well into a fresh healthy well (2:19-22). The picture below is the exact well in Jericho that archeologist have uncovered and believe may be Elisha's well.In fact, the story was such a high point in the city of Jericho that even today there is a well and fountain commemorating God's blessing through Elisha that day.
Furthermore, God affirms Elijah's spirit by assisting him with a pack of disrespectful youth. I'll let you read the story in 2 Kings 2:23-24; it's crazy!

The whole story of Elisha and Elijah makes me ask myself a few questions.
  • Who am I following? Is there a leader in Christ's church that I would desire a double portion of? I need to find such men, walk close to them and learn from them.
  • Who is following me? There were over 50 prophets that followed Elijah in Jericho alone and thousands around Israel. How did Elijah know who to spend his time with and pass his ministry onto? Who does God want me to train and encourage and pass ministry along to?
  • How is my walk? Would anyone really want a double portion of the ministry I will one day leave behind? Is my walk faithful and Godly enough to build on? Would anyone really want to pick up my mantle?
Father - Make me more like Elisha, that I may humbly know who to follow. Make me more like Elijah, that I may be followed. Lay Your hand of blessing and affirmation upon me that others may follow in my footsteps and I follow in Yours. Amen.

No comments: