Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ignorance and sin

2 Kings 12:2-3
Joash did what was right in the eyes of the LORD all the years Jehoiada the priest instructed him. 3 The high places, however, were not removed; the people continued to offer sacrifices and burn incense there.

While Joash may have done what was right and avoided egregious sin in his own life, he failed to root out the sin of his people. He ignored evil and allowed wickedness to persist. It may have been out of fear or laziness or that he simply didn't feel it was all that important; after all, he did tear down the alters and places of Baal. Yet, this ignorance did come back to eventually destroy him. When Jehoiada, his wise, godly council died, there was nobody else left to fill his role but men who consented to such false worship at these high places. So what lesson do we learn from Joash's ignorance of sin?
Sin is serious and must be removed from both within us and around us. The sin of the company we keep will eventually become our own (1 Cor. 15:33). Wise council does not come from those who are ambivalent or turn a blind eye toward sin.
Have I done everything I can to root out the sin in my own life and the lives of those around me? Do I take the initiative to turn sinners from their ways and steer those around me back toward God (James 5:20)? Have I allowed anything to continue in my family or my ministry that would not honor God or that will eventually lead to my dishonor?

God, give me eyes to see sin and to identify what does not honor You. Give me courage and wisdom to know how to remove it. Give me self control to do what is right in Your eyes always. Amen.

No comments: