Tuesday, May 25, 2010

to fear the Lord

2 Kings 17:33
They (the new inhabitants of Israel) feared the LORD, yet served their own gods—according to the rituals of the nations from among whom they were carried away.

The new inhabitants of Israel understood the power and presence of the God of Israel and feared Him (2 K 17:25-26). Yet they did not fear the Lord enough to put away their false gods and idolatry. So what does it mean to truly fear the Lord?
To fear the Lord is not simply an academic assertion that God is holy or powerful or just or righteously vengeful. It is more than an emotional fear of consequences or the judgment of God. It is more than actions of appeasement to another God. (When you worship a false God, one is just as legitimate as another - 2 Kings 17:24.)
To fear the Lord is to completely change my position, stance and view of God. My position should be one of complete obedience to God alone, turning my back on everything of this world. My stance should be one of complete humility, bowing before Him and submitting only to His will. My view should be one of complete adoration and exaltation; a face to face relationship with Him. To fear the Lord is a complete revolution of who I am; to turn from (and leave behind) my own rituals, traditions, human nature and all that is carnally me and embrace all that is divinely Him.

Father - teach me to fear You. Let me turn my back on all that is carnally me and whatever is of this world and let me find my identity fully in You. Amen.

No comments: