Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Garden Wake-up Call

Matthew 26:36-38
"Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 37He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."
The word Gethsemane means "olive press." The place where Jesus often took his disciples to get away and pray was not a place of trees and flowers, but more of industrial garden of stones, presses and tools. It was here that olives would be pressed under heavy stones in a three fold process.It was here in the garden, beside the great weights of the olives presses, that Jesus experienced the weight of the sin of the world being pressed upon him. It was here in the garden that the cup of suffering and God's wrath would be poured out upon him. Three times he invited his disciples to watch and pray with him and three times they slept (26:44-45). According to Luke's account of this garden experience, Jesus prayers in agony caused him to sweat blood (22:45), yet it was here that He found strength and was ministered to.
(I find it interesting and encouraging when traveling through Israel to find these little red flowers on the ground where Jesus suffered his toughest trials. This is in the garden of Gethsemane.)

Yet without prayer, without pouring out our hearts and souls to God, we find no strength and we fail each test laid before us. Peter, who Jesus personally woke up each time, was not only defeated by his weariness, but also by three simple questions by two young girl and a stranger in the crowd at Caiaphas house (Mt. 26:75).(The church of St. Peter and the Rooster's Crow)

Peter did not heed Jesus wake-up call. He did not take advantage of the way of escape or the strengthening of God promised in 1 Corinthians 10:13. We should not be surprised by testing or trial, it is common to all who claim Christ. Instead, we should watch and pray and listen to the voice of our Savior as He calls us to join Him; both in prayer and in suffering. It is here that we find strength, courage and victory. Notice, the words of verse 46 (Rise, let us go! Here comes my betrayer!") are not the words of a man defeated, but of one determined to overcome.
Do I watch and pray? Do I answer Jesus' wake-up call? Do I strengthen my flesh and empower my spirit through time with Jesus in the gardens of my life?

Father - keep my eyes and ears open. May I always watch and pray and hear Your voice. While I know the cup of trial will not always pass me by, I pray that I may be prepared to receive it and honor You in how I respond. May I be proud to be found with you in the gardens. Amen

No comments: