Friday, May 28, 2010

Wrecked by God's Word

2 Kings 22:11
Now it happened, when the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, that he tore his clothes.

King Josiah was wrecked by the Word of God. When he heard it he didn't respond in thoughtful contemplation, heartfelt meditation or even pious application; but complete and total conviction. When the Truth of God and the sin of man meet in a heart that is soft and receptive toward God there is only one possible response - to be wrecked. This response is only possible with a soft and tender heart focused on God (vs. 19). If I am not wrecked by God's truth, my heart is not in the right condition.
So how do I respond to the Word of God? Do I chew on it, mull it over and choke it down... or do I let it chew on me, work me over and bring me to my knees? Does it lead me to contemplation or conviction? If I am anything less than wrecked by God's truth... my heart is not in the right place.

Father - soften my heart to Your truth. Let it be wrecked by Your Word and let my encounter with it humble me and change me. Teach me to hear it, receive it and respond appropriately to Your Holy Word. Amen.

No comments: