Thursday, May 13, 2010

Spiritual Eyes

2 Kings 6:16-17
So he answered, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” 17 And Elisha prayed, and said, “LORD, I pray, open his eyes that he may see.” Then the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.

Far too often our eyes focus on the physical fears of life. Yet God is always working and if we only refocus the lenses of our hearts and minds onto spiritual things, we would not fear.
What an amazing prayer! "Lord, open my eyes that I may see."
When we do see the spiritual, intangible and powerful reality behind our physical world, like Elisha, we have peace, comfort, security, confidence, grace, hope, and the privilege of passing these onto others as we pray for and teach them to have spiritual eyes.

Lord, Open my eyes so that I may see Your hand of provision, protection and power in my life. Open my eyes so that I may pass on your peace, comfort, confidence, grace and hope. Amen.

This reminds me of the old Hymn by Clara H. Scott, "Open my eyes that I may see"

Open my eyes, that I may see
glimpses of truth thou hast for me;
place in my hands the wonderful key
that shall unclasp and set me free.
Silently now I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my eyes, illumine me, Spirit divine!

Open my ears, that I may hear
voices of truth thou sendest clear;
and while the wavenotes fall on my ear,
everything false will disappear.
Silently now I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!

Open my mouth, and let me bear
gladly the warm truth everywhere;
open my heart and let me prepare
love with thy children thus to share.
Silently now I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my heart, illumine me, Spirit divine!

No comments: