Monday, May 17, 2010

A King in the house of a King...

2 Kings 11:3 & 21
So he (Jehoash) was hidden with her in the house of the LORD for six years, while Athaliah reigned over the land.... Jehoash was seven years old when he became king.

Scripture tells us that Jehoash (or Joash) was a righteous king who honored the Lord and did was was right in the sight of the Lord (2 Kings 12:2). He even restored the Temple and Temple practices in Jerusalem (2 Kings 12:7, 2 Chron. 24:4). This righteous reign can only be attributed to the fact that Joash was raised in the house of the Lord where he was reared to know and observe the commands of the Lord. He listened to the law read aloud, he practiced daily prayer, he may have participated in Temple rituals such as burning incense or sacrifice. This daily encounter with the way of the Lord is also the reason why he was ready to reign at seven years old. Not many kings reared in a palace reign in righteousness, yet a king reared in righteousness will receive a palace.
In thinking of my children, whatever they choose to do with their lives will be blessed if they are raised in the House of the Lord to know and observe all of His ways. If they hear the Word of God daily, if they practice prayer with our family, if they join in our family practices and learn to serve and sacrifice for others... my children will grow up to do what is right in the sight of the Lord and to honor Him in what they do (Prov. 22:6). The question for me is this; in what type of environment are my children being raised? Does my house reflect the commands and character of the Lord? Would a guest in my house feel as through he or she was in the house of the Lord? Do all the practices in my home bring glory to God (Eph. 6:4)?

Father, let my house be honoring to You. Let my children grow up to know your Word, to practice prayer and to live in Your ways. Help me to make my home Your house so that they may grow up to walk with You always. Amen

No comments: