Monday, May 10, 2010

Fear and Joy

Matthew 28:8
"So they went out quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to bring His disciples word."

I understand why Mary and Mary would be filled with great joy at the realization of the resurrection of Jesus. I am filled with Joy that my Savior lives. However, it is more difficult to understand why they would be filled with fear. The word used here is "phobo." At times this is translated as terror. It's the same word used to describe the guards who shook with fear and the disciples who hid for fear of the Jews. It's not as simple as respect or reverence (as some translate fear) but fright and even dread. Why would his followers be filled with fear when their Savior had risen, defeated death and his enemies, affirmed his identity and demonstrated such power?
For these followers, the resurrection was a frightening reality. According to the guards, they were witnesses to the conspiracy of the tomb (4). They were heralds for the angels to relay the message to the others (7). They were Jewish women boldly addressing Roman, Jewish, municipal and spiritual authorities. Who would listen to their story, much less receive it? They were afraid because they fully understood the implications of the resurrection. They understood the responsibility that accompanied such a truth. They knew that from that moment on, life would not be the same, it would not fit back into their neat and simple box of reality and predictability as before. They embraced the struggle that lay ahead and were fully prepared to pay the cost. In response, their risen Savior met them and eased their fears, calling them to "rejoice" and "fear not."
Why do I not fear more? Have I fully perceived the implications of the resurrection? Do I live with the constant knowledge of my calling to be a witness and a herald of the truth I possess? Am I willing and prepared to face a hostile world with the life-changing message of the empty tomb?... or do I simply take joy in the resurrection and leave the hard part for others?

Father, fill me with fear and fortitude to be the witness you have called me to be. Amen.

No comments: