Monday, March 23, 2009

Content to serve.

Luke 14:13-14
"But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you shall be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”

It's easy to serve and minister when recognition, praise and compliments flow. It's gratifying to receive a thank you card or invitation in response to ministry. It's tempting to let these responses dictate where we serve and the direction of our ministry. We can view these as "signs" of God's blessing, confirmation of our gifts or validation for a job well done. But God has a plan for those who cannot repay an do not think to thank and very little will validate ministry to them in this lifetime. God has a special place for these at His banquet table and a special reward for those who value them as He does. The questions I keep asking myself are these; "can I be content ministering to children for a lifetime? Can I put away ambition and prideful hunger for recognition and simply love those whom God has given me? Can I pass on public reward in this lifetime and quietly store up treasure in heaven?

Father - humble me and make me increasingly content to serve and minister to middle school students and their families. Remove my ambition and replace it with compassion for those who cannot repay. Fill me with a drive for the poor, the disabled, the hurting, they young and the old so that I can be found faithful to love those whom You love. Amen.

No comments: