Friday, March 6, 2009

Generosity, hope & trust

Luke 6:30,34,35
Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back.
And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back.
But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.

These are tough words in tough economic times. Jesus does not call us to give and be "ok" with nothing in return. He calls us to "hope for nothing" in return. Jesus calls us to give to all who ask receive only from Him. In doing this we can be certain His reward is great. In this life and eternity, we are promised 100 fold blessing (Mt. 19:29), sonship, and conformity to the image of God. What good is receiving back what I lend, what I already had, when so much more is offered to me? Can I trust God to continue His care for me? If I give away my last meal tonight will I eat tomorrow? Jesus said in Matthew 6:31-34, "“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." God is faithful. I will be generous.

Father - deepen my trust in You and Your provision for me and my family. Remind us to be generous to all always and let us give boldly. Make us a blessing to those in need so that they may see You and Your kingdom. Amen.

No comments: