Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Leveraging Wealth

Luke 16:9
“And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home."

There is nothing sacred or righteous about money and wealth. Riches are a tool God has provided to achieve a greater goal and steward a greater value; people. The world knows how to bribe and buy favor. The sons of light (8) however hold money in too high esteem. It's not that they are greedy for it or enslaved by it - it's that they hold it as sacred and manage it in fear or reverence. Jesus calls money "unrighteous" and calls us to leverage it by any means to win over the world for everlasting ends. Since the souls of men are of higher value, money is a tool and means to this greater end. And since all belongs to God, we don't have to worry about running out of money or dwindling our resources - granting that we are investing in the right things; lost people. This must be our sacred trust. In this we must be faithful stewards.

Father - let me hold loosely to my wealth and value people higher than my material resources and wealth. Teach me to leverage my stuff for what You value. Teach me to be shrewd with what is common and hungry for what is sacred. Amen.

No comments: