Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Jesus and the Holy Spirit

Luke 4:1 & 14
Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the desert,....Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside.

Here in John 4 Jesus is "filled" with the Holy Spirit, "led" by the Holy Spirit and empowered by the Holy Spirit. I often get lost in the deity of Jesus assuming that being god meant that Jesus did anything He wanted, whenever He wanted. Instead, Jesus demonstrated full submission to God the Father and dependence on the Holy Spirit. I believe this is why later in John 4 Jesus is able to resist the Devil (ironically before being empowered... that's a whole different lesson), speak with such authority concerning the Scriptures and command demons to be silent and depart. This was not for example, this was Jesus living out His full humanity. Here are some verses that come to mind regarding Jesus and His human nature.

John 8:28-29
So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him."

Philippians 2:6-8
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped
,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death
even death on a cross!

Hebrews 2:17-18
For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

To be fully human is to fully rely on the Holy Spirit for full obedience to the Father's will. To be human is not to demonstrate independence or "self-control" but self-submission, to be dependent on and controlled by the Holy Spirit. This was God's will for Jesus and it is His will for me; to be filled, led and empowered by the Holy Spirit each day to do His will. This is the beginning of Jesus ministry and it is the beginning of mine.

Father - fill me with Your Holy Spirit, to be led by Him, to hear His voice and to be empowered to do Your will each day. Make me more "human." Amen.

No comments: