Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fruit Worthy of Repentance

Luke 3:8
"Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones."

Where is the evidence of my faith and repentance found? Do I rely on my affiliation with the church? Should people assume I am saved because I am religious or because I am a pastor?
No, my faith is not validated by titles or labels but by my fruit; my behavior, how I treat others, my words, the product of my days. To repent means to turn 180 degrees away from sin and walk in the opposite direction. It is not enough to simply turn away from sin, I must demonstrate this turn by progressing in holiness and behavior that validate my recognition of sin. It matters less where I stand (in church, outside of culture, with the right political party, etc...) and more where and how I am walking day to day.
So, how am I walking? Do I see fruit being produced in my life and the lives of those around me on a daily basis? What would others say is the evidence of my repentance? How is my faith being validated?

Father - strengthen me and remind me to bear fruit daily. Let my faith be seen in my walk and not my status. May I be known by good fruit daily. Amen.

No comments: