Tuesday, May 26, 2009

God and His Word

2 Samuel 7:28
“And now, O Lord GOD, You are God, and Your words are true, and You have promised this goodness to Your servant.

David knew God and he knew His Word, His promises. These two relationships gave David the confidence and courage to march into battle and know for certain that God would give him victory. His knowledge of God was not only academic; stories of old passed down through generations, but intimate; out of which was born hundreds of personal psalms of praise and prayer. David heard the stories of God's faithfulness (2 Sam. 7:22) and responded by drawing near.
David also claimed God's Word and promises for himself. To David, they were not generic words for people in general but personal commands and personal promises which required individual obedience. David claimed the good and the difficult alike; preserving the life of his enemy the king but also claiming the throne and the lifestyle that would be required with it. His decisions about war and alliances were all based on God's promises to establish his throne forever (2 Sam. 8). David was claiming the promises of God and making a name for Him (2 Sam. 7:26). God's Word and promises were his strength.
Is this true of me? Do I make decision out of my own knowledge of life and circumstance and the words of men or is my confidence in knowing God and His Word? Do I live out of a deep, intimate relationship with God and His Word? On what are my decisions based?

Father - draw me closer to You, to know You and Your Word. Establish me as an example to others, as a testimony to Your great name. Bless me that I may be a blessing. Amen.

No comments: