Friday, May 15, 2009

Secret to Ministry

1 Thessalonians 5:14
Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all.

This verse make me think that Paul might of done some youth ministry back in his day. What a perfect verse and reminder for youth workers and volunteers. Nobody is perfect and students especially are learning to walk into maturity and to walk with Jesus; they are going to stumble and even fall. They need us to be there for them; to be firm, encouraging, helpful and patient. While this can be very difficult at times, Paul gives also some strong tips on how to do this well in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the Lords will in Christ Jesus for you." So if I'm struggling with my attitude or interaction with a student I must ask myself, "Have I been rejoicing in their journey, praying for their success and thanking God for the opportunity to influence their walk?" In doing this I find that walking with even the most difficult of students is so much easier.

God - make me the youth pastor You want me to be. Help me be firm, encouraging, helpful and patient with each student You give me. Keep me focused on rejoicing, praying and thanking You for each of their lives and my own as well. Amen.

No comments: