Monday, May 4, 2009

Strengthened in the Lord

1 Samuel 30:6
Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God.

This passage echoes of Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane deeply grieved to the point of death yet finding strength in the Father through prayer to face the trial ahead (Matthew 26/Luke 22).
I wish I could see how David strengthened himself in the Lord his God. Was it Scripture? Prayer? Psalms and music? Meditation on the faithfulness of God in the past? Remembering the prophesies of God through Samuel? What brought David's eyes from the loss in his life back to the Lord? What brought David strength?
What turns my eyes from the things of this life back to the Lord? What gets my focus off me and back onto Him? Most often I find that Scripture gets me back to God and changes my thoughts and feelings. Prayer most often clarifies and solidifies the lessons. Journaling makes it memorable.
So why don't I turn to my Bible immediately when I am distressed? Why do I wait til morning? Why not turn to God as all times?

Father - draw me into Your Word at all times. Teach me to depend on You as air in every day circumstances. Let me be strengthened by You, oh Lord my God. Amen.

No comments: