Thursday, May 7, 2009

humility

Colossians 3:12-13
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

As God's elect, holy and dearly loved, I can easily put on pride, arrogance, cynicism, harshness and impatience. I can let the idea of being chosen and loved by God puff me up if I don't remind myself also why I've been chosen and loved. Nothing in me is worthy of choosing or loving. I did nothing to earn or deserve God's favor. As Paul reminds the Colossians, God forgave me - He overlooked my unworthiness and forgave my sinfulness. I am chosen and loved by God because of what is in Him, not what is in me. Because God chose to forgive me, love me and make me His, I must also humbly accept others in the same way.

Father - humble me and let me extend Your same love and tenderness to others as You have extended to me. Amen.

No comments: