Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Justice, Mercy & Trust

2 Samuel 10:12
"Be of good courage, and let us be strong for our people and for the cities of our God. And may the LORD do what is good in His sight.”

Joab was not ambitious or greedy in battle. He did not prepare his men for selfish gain or without cause. His trust in the Lord for the victory was not unfounded. Instead Joab prepared for battle and strengthened his men out of justice, knowing that he and David his king already did what was right in the eyes of the Lord. David chose mercy over ambition regarding the king of Ammon, showing him kindness at the loss of his father. (2 Samuel 10:1-2). However David's kindness and mercy was met with injustice and disgrace. His men, his nation and most importantly his God had been humiliated and shamed. Consequently, on the foundation of mercy and justice for the honor of the name of the Lord and His people, Joab prepares for battle and places his full trust in the Lord to do what is right, what is just in His sight.

Do I live such a life of mercy and justice that I can stand in battle with confidence in God to do what is right and bring me the victory? Do I choose mercy over ambition and justice over gain before the battle lines are drawn? Do I live out of this mercy and justice so as to honor the Lord in all I do?

God - give me a heart of mercy and a mind to know justice. Let me walk humbly before You each day that you might go before me in battle and grant me the victory. Amen.

Micah 6:8-
He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justly, To love mercy,
And to walk humbly with your God?

No comments: