Friday, May 22, 2009

Undignified

2 Samuel 6:22
22 And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor.”

As David brought the Ark of the Covenant to the Tabernacle in Jerusalem he danced before the Lord with all his might in a linen Ephod (2 Sam. 6:14). There is no doubt that this behavior was unbecoming of a king however David's identity was not all wrapped up in being king nor was it his primary function. David was a servant of God; totally committed to Him in deed and emotion. If it was royalty God asked for, David was kingly. If it was bravery, David fought. If it was worship, David worshiped. It didn't matter to David who was watching, listening or judging his behavior because it was before and only for the Lord that David performed. His behavior was a free and shameless overflow of his heart for God.

Do I have a similar heart for God and a passion for His glory that is free and unrestrained? Do I dance and sing and proclaim God's glory regardless of who is listening, watching or judging? Am I humble in my own eyes or do I pridefully worry about my reputation and what others think? Where is my heart?

God - help me remove my pride and glorify You at all times. Let praise and worship be like breath in me and let my adoration of You be unrestrained and undignified. You are worthy of this and so much more. Amen.

No comments: