Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Contentment

1 Timothy 6:6
"But godliness with contentment is great gain."

Hebrews 13:5
"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Philippians 4:11 & 19
"Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:....
And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Contentment is so underrated. I'm not certain but I don't think I've ever heard a sermon on contentment. I have heard it used as a side note or sub-point for something seemingly more important; materialism, greed, worry, etc, but never as the main idea.
However it seems that contentment might just be one of the most important Christian virtues upon which many others are built. Contentment promotes gratitude, patience, generosity, faith, peace, joy, goodness, and so much more. Contentment defeats greed, materialism, pride, ambition, complaining, quarreling, selfishness, etc.
So what is the secret to contentment? How do I learn, "in whatever state I am, to be content?" Contentment begins with the promises of God: "I will never leave you nor forsake you," "my God will supply all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus," and so many more. Upon this foundation we lay trust. Trust, not only in what is to come, but also on what has come and is, that it is from God. He is sovereign and gives to His own what is necessary for His will and our benefit (Luke 12:22-28). Upon this foundation we also lay hope and train our minds to focus on what is greater; the kingdom of God (Luke 12:29-34). We must seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; refusing to be distracted by the cares of this life. We have been granted an eternity of blessing and goodness. Contentment is to live in light of this for a short season called life.

Father - solidify Your promises in my mind and life that I might be content in all circumstances, trusting in You and living each day in the hope of Your kingdom. Amen.

No comments: