Tuesday, June 16, 2009

evident... eventually

1 Timothy 5:24-25
Some men’s sins are clearly evident, preceding them to judgment, but those of some men follow later. Likewise, the good works of some are clearly evident, and those that are otherwise cannot be hidden.

Both sin and good deeds are hard to hide for too long. Eventually sin and goodness both seep into our character and contaminate our reputation. Unless one is clearly evident and lasting in one's life, we should not be quick to judge. God will reveal all things in time.
This is a good and trustworthy warning also for leaders and teachers in the church who are to be judged more harshly for their role (Js. 3:1). I cannot harbor hidden sin. What I hope to keep hidden will eventually be brought into the light (Jn. 3:20-21). Some deeds will be revealed in this life and some in the life to come. Those revealed here will be shown some mercy, however those revealed later (at the judgment) will not. Reward received now will be light, reward received later will be great. It is in my best interest to have my sin revealed now and my goodness hidden until later. To get these reversed would be a very bad thing.
Am I now living in a manner, both publicly and privately, that is prepared to receive the light of God's judgment?

1 Corinthians 3:12-13
"If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work."

God - purify my heart and reveal to me my hidden sins. Let my goodness be evident and my errors revealed. Forgive my sin. Prepare my life and conduct for Your light that I might not only be justified but also that I might please You. Amen.

No comments: