Monday, June 15, 2009

God's people deserve a growing pastor.

1 Timothy 4:16
Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you.

Sometimes as a pastor it's easy to be more concerned about the conduct and doctrine of others than my own. As the shepherd, my attention could easily be on my sheep at all times and it would feel right and fulfilling and even justified. As the defender of doctrine in my ministry, it would be easy to get sucked into empty debates and profane arguments about every new belief that sprouts up. However Paul says that my effectiveness as a pastor/shepherd is more about my own conduct and doctrine that others'. The health of my ministry will reflect my own spiritual health, consistency and sanctification. And I must "take heed" and be daily aware of my own spiritual condition. I cannot take for granted my position, my influence or my gifts (vs. 14). I must be growing daily and my progress should be evident and inspiring to those around me (vs. 15). If I (let alone my sheep) do not see the growth in me that God desires, I must evaluate my spiritual training and change my exercise regimen (vs. 7-8). God's people deserve a growing pastor.
Am I growing daily in my own faith and conduct?

Father sharpen my sense and ability for self awareness. Help me to boldly and ruthlessly evaluate myself that I might discipline myself for daily spiritual growth. Let my faith, doctrine, conduct and progress be inspiring to those whom You have entrusted to me. Amen.

No comments: